Norway in America - North Dakota

Post office names in USA and Canada with Norwegian origin.
Research by Hallvard Slettebø and Dag Henriksbø.


This page was updated 24 May 2021.

The first Norwegians arrived in the Dakotas as early as 1859, shortly after the treaty with the Yankton Sioux was signed in 1859. It took another ten years before the greater influx of Norwegians took place. They settled mainly in the eastern and northern parts of the state, but today they are found everywhere in the state. Far to the north, the Red River region became heavily populated by Norwegians, and the valley of its tributary, the Sheyenne Valley, became, as one pioneer put it, "solidly Norwegian".
One in three of all North Dakotans is of Norwegian heritage, which is the highest among all U.S. states.

Alhalstead, ND
Alhalstead, rural post office in Maywille Twp., Traill Co., ND, on the Great Northern Railroad branch line. The name is credited to site owner Andreas C. Ulland (1849-1907), a Norwegian who came here in 1873, although its meaning is unknown. The post office was established with James H. McVeety as postmaster. The name was changed to Murray 1897, but the order was rescinded, and it is possible that that name was never actually used by the post office. Mr. Ulland became postmaster 1898, but the facility closed same year with mail to Blanchard.

Amundsville, ND
Amundsville, a farm post office in Amundsville Twp., McLean Co., ND. This was a farm post office established 1913 with Joseph O. Amundson as postmaster in his country store, he was born 1887 in Minnesota to Norwegian immigrant parents. The name honored both the postmaster and his brother, Henry, who came here in 1912 from Glencoe, MN. It closed 1916 with mail to Ryder.

Arnegard, ND
Arnegard is a city and township in McKenzie Co., ND. Arnegard was founded in 1906 and is named for brothers Even I. and Oscar I. Arnegard, early homesteaders in the area. They were born in North Dakota to immigrant parents from Arnegard, Ål, Norway. The Arnegard, ND post office opened 1906 with Gerhard A. Stenehjem as postmaster, and it is still in operation. The Great Northern Railroad platted the townsite, Arnegard Township in 1913. A peak population of 254 was reached in 1930, down to 115 at the 2010 census.



Benson, ND
Benson, Grenville Twp., LaMoure Co., ND. A post office was established 1905 with Carl E. Dunham as postmaster in his country store. The name honored Peter E. Benson, who homesteaded on this site in 1882. The post office closed 1909, superseded by R.D. from Litchville, although the store operated until 1957.



Bentru, ND
Bentru, township in Grand Forks Co., ND. This rural settlement on the Red River was named for its township which was named for Halvor Bentru (born Hallingdal, Norway), who came here from Iowa with his family in June 1871. The post office was established 1900 with Torkel A. Torkelson as postmaster, and it closed 1906, superseded by R.D. from Thompson. A population of 10 was listed in 1920.

Berdella, ND
Berdella, rural post office in Holmes Twp., Rolette Co., ND, established 1909 with Theodore M. Brekke as postmaster (born in Minnesota to Norwegian immigrant parents). Mr. Brekke is said to have selected the name from a list of young girls in the area. The post office closed 1916 with mail to Bachelor.



Berg, ND
Berg was a small community in Blue Butte Twp., McKenzie Co., ND. It was named for first postmaster Julius I. Berg (1863-1945), who came here in 1904 from Solør, Hedmark, Norway and opened the Berg, ND post office in 1905. A population of 10 was reported in 1920. The post office closed 1944 with mail to Kenee.



Bergen, ND
Bergen is a city in Voltaire Twp., McHenry Co., ND. Bergen was founded in 1905 and named after Bergen, Norway, homeland of many area settlers. A post office operated from 1905 with Oscar Sawby as first postmaster. The Soo Line Railroad reached here in 1907, and the village incorporated in 1929. A population of 98 was reported in 1930, but that figure declined to 24 in 1980 and just seven at the 2010 Census. The post office closed 1979.



Bjelland, ND
Bjelland, a farm post office in Lansford Twp., Bottineau Co, ND. The post office was established 1901 with Chris H. Knudson as postmaster who named it for his father, Knud Bjelland. Probably Bjelland in Sveio, Norway. Discontinued 1903 with mail to Lansford.

Bjorn, ND
Bjorn, farm post office in Rye Twp., Grand Forks Co., ND, stablished 1880 with Andrew Hallockson as postmaster. Bjorn is Norwegian for bear, and one of these animals had been seen in the area, resulting in the name. Closed 1881 with mail to Grand Forks.

Bolaker, ND
Bolaker, post office in Valley Twp., Renville Co., ND, established 1902 with Stener V. Svennungsen as postmaster, who named it for his home in Norway, Bolaker in Sauherad. The post office was renamed and relocated to the new Great Northern Railroad townsite of Sherwood 1905, and it is still in operation.

Bolken, ND
Bolken, farm post office in Forde Twp., Nelson Co., ND. It was established 1905 with Peder L. Bolken as postmaster. Mr. Bolken came here in 1887 from Norway and founded the Plainview Farm. The post office closed 1907, superseded by R.D. from Pekin.

Breien, ND
Breien is a community in New Hope Twp., Morton Co., ND. This Northern Pacific Railroad station was founded as Parkin in 1915. The post office was established 1916 with Ellen J. Ring as postmaster, but it was renamed Breien by town founder Edward Jacobson, the local elevator manager, for one of his Norwegian relatives. The population never exceeded 40, and the post office closed 1985.



Bue, ND
Bue, rural post office in Bergen Twp., Nelson Co., ND, established 1882 with Lars O. Bue as postmaster. Mr. Bue (1860-1902) came to this location in 1880. The post office closed 1907 with mail to Pekin.

Burnstad, ND
Burnstad is a community in Red Lake Twp., Logan Co., ND. This was a Soo Line Railroad townsite, named for Christ P. Burnstad who donated the land for the townsite. Christen Per Bjørnstad left Norway at age 17 and lived in Minnesota and South Dakota before settling in North Dakota in 1905. He was known as the "Logan Co. Cattle Baron of North Dakota" and owned 54 sections of land in the region. The Burnstad, ND post office operated 1907-1979, with Nellie Smith first postmaster. A population of 200 was claimed in 1930, but the count has been under 100 since the 1940s.



Bye, ND
Bye, post office in Anna Twp., Ward Co., ND. It was named for postmaster Ole J. Bye who in 1903 established a post office in his country store, which served only seven people with mail brought twice weekly from Minot. The post office closed 1906 with mail to Ryder. Mr. Bye became the new postmaster at Ryder, recently relocated to the new Soo Line Railroad townsite two miles to the southeast.

Carson, ND
Rural post office in Carson Twp., Grant Co., ND. The selected name was coined from the names of local settler Frank CARter, and brothers Simon and David PederSON, the two latter having Norwegian parents. Carson became the Co. seat when Grant Co. organized in 1916. A peak population of 501 was reached in 1960. The post office opened 1902 with David Pederson as postmaster and it is still in operation.



Charlson, ND
Charlson, a village in Elm Tree Twp., McKenzie Co., ND. This rural post office was established with Thorsten E. Charlson as postmaster at his home; he was born in Iowa to Norwegian immigrant parents. A population of 125 was reported in 1920, although the village never incorporated. The decline came, and the 1960 population was just 20. Rose C. Boots retired as postmaster in 1980 after more than thirty years on the job, and the post office closed with mail to New Town, although government records did not record this fact until 1982.



Columbus, ND
Columbus is a city in Burke Co., ND. Columbus was founded in 1906, named for Columbus Larson, born approx. 1855 in Wisconsin to Norwegian immigrant parents, making it possibly the only town so named that was not named for Christopher Columbus. The Columbus, ND post office opened in 1903 with Columbus Larson first postmaster and it is still in operation. The population was 133 at the 2010 census.
Nearby Larson, ND is also named for Columbus Larson, as well as Comrey, AB, Canada.



Daglum, ND
Daglum, a rural community in Simpson Twp., Stark Co., ND. It was named by and for John O. Daglum, he was born 1861 in Norway and came to America in 1881. Most early settlers were Norwegians coming here from Beresford, SD. The Daglum, ND post office operated from 1906 with John O. Daglum as first postmaster, located in his country store. It closed 1920 with mail to South Heart. A population of 10 was reported in 1920.



Dahl, ND
Dahl, farm post office in Blooming Twp., Grand Forks Co., ND, established 1879 with Lewis Knudson as postmaster, he was born 1857 in Illinois to Norwegian immigrant parents. The name is an Americanised version of dal, meaning valley in all Scandinavian languages, also a common Norwegian family name. The post office closed 1881 with mail to Stickney.

Dahlen, ND
Dahlen is a community in Nelson Co., ND. This Soo Line Railroad townsite and township were named for Elling N. Dahlen from Norway, who had settled here with his eight sons in 1881. The Dahlen, ND post office operated 1913-1983 with first postmaster George B. “Byron” Frost. A population of 200 was reported in 1920, down to 75 in 1960.



Dokken, ND
Dokken, post office in Sherman Twp., Bottineau Co., ND, established 1901 with Ole N. Dokken as postmaster in his country store, and closed 1909, superseded by R.D. from Antler.

Edberg, ND
Edberg, farm post office in Frances Twp., Burleigh Co., ND, established 1886 with Marcus A. Edberg as postmaster (born 1842 Norway). A rural community began to develop, and a population of 42 was reported in 1890. The post office moved one mile southeast in 1894, changing its name to Frances.

Egeland, ND
Egeland is a city in Lewis Twp., Towner Co., ND. This Soo Line Railroad townsite was founded in 1905 at a site originally homesteaded by Rasmus Rasmussen in 1894. It was named for Axel Egeland, a banker in Bisbee, ND and an official of the Soo Line Railroad. Axel Egeland was born in Norway 1875 and came to America 1893. Lots were sold August 9, 1905, and on August 23, 1905 the nearby country store and post office called Lakeview (established 1903) relocated here, John M. Borgerson continuing as postmaster and storekeeper. The village incorporated 1905, and reached a peak population of 333 in 1930, down to just 28 at the 2010 census. The Egeland, ND post office is still in operation. NFT 6-7/2017.



Ellefson, ND
Ellefson was a farm post office in Cottonwood Twp., Mountrail Co., ND (Ward Co. until 1909). The post office was established 1904 with Edward Ellefson as postmaster in his home. It was named for the postmaster who was born in Minnesota 1877 to Norwegian immigrant parents. The post office closed 1909 with mail to Lostwood.



Elling, ND
Elling, rural post office in Elling Twp., Pierce Co., ND, established 1902 with Charles Stackhouse as postmaster. The post office is said to have been named for Elling N. Enger (born 1864 Norway), who had settled in 1885 on the land that would become the townsite of Barton. The township was named for Elling Jensen, who owned the country store in which this post office was located. The post office closed 1906, superseded by R.D. from Brazil.

Enger, ND
Enger, post office in Viking Twp., Traill Co., ND, established 1910 with Mrs. Bella Halland as postmaster. It was located at the Great Northern Railroad station known as Portland Junction, and was named for Fingal G. Enger (born 1846 Ringerike, Norway), who came here in 1872 and ran a 20,000 acre bonanza farm, later serving four terms in the state senate. Others say it was named for Carl F. Enger, a local farmer (and Fingal Enger’s son). The post office closed 1912 with mail to Mayville.

Falsen, ND
Falsen, post office in McHenry Co., ND. The community was first known as Falsen, founded in 1912 by Norwegian settlers, who named it for Norwegian statesman Christian Magnus Falsen. Falsen was also the name of the station on the Great Northern Railway. The post office was established with the name Falsen in 1913, but the name was changed to Verendrye 1925. The population of Falsen in 1920 was 75. The post office closed in 1965, with mail being redirected to Bergen. The remains of the school building are the last true remnant of the town.



Frettim, ND
Frettim is a township in Kidder Co., ND. A lake at the site also bears the name of Hans Frettim (1865-1921), who came to America from Norway in 1866, and homesteaded in Kidder Co. in 1899. When the post office was established 1904, Mr. Frettim was appointed as postmaster. The post office closed 1913 with mail to Robinson.



Galchutt, ND
Galchutt is a community in Abercrombie Twp., Richland Co., ND. It was named for Hans Galchutt, a Norwegian who came here in 1882 and built a store, warehouse, and an elevator. The post office was established 1891 with Mr. Galchutt as postmaster. A population of about 100 has been recorded here for most of the twentieth century. The post office closed in 1978.



Garnes, ND
Garnes, post office in Garness Twp., Burke Co., ND, established 1904 and named for postmaster Ole H. Garness, born 1835 in Norway. Changed name 1906 to Powers Lake and it is still in operation.

Gilma, ND
Gilma, farm post office in Mercer Co., ND, established 1916 with Knute C. Stai as postmaster. He came here in 1906 from Norway and operated the Triplet Spring Farm. He named the post office for his wife, the former Gilma Pederson. It closed 1917 with mail to Hebron.

Gravly, ND
Gravly, Brander Twp., Bottineau Co., ND. This was a rural post office established 1904 with Lars John Gravly as postmaster in his country store (born 1873 Telemark, Norway, possibly from Gravli, Gjerpen). The post office closed 1905 with mail to Maxbass.

Grelland, ND
Grelland was a farm post office in Vang Twp., Ward Co., ND. It was named for Grelland in Botne near Holmestrand, Norway. First postmaster Johan W. Rode was born in Norway 1870 and emigrated from Grelland, Botne via Holmestrand 1887. The Grelland, ND post office was established 1902 and closed 1918 with mail to Drady.



Gronna, ND
Gronna, a Great Northern Railroad station in Oxford Twp., Rolette Co., ND. The Galloway post office was established 1902, and in 1905 it was relocated and changed name to Gronna with John D. Crosby as postmaster. The name honored Asle J. Gronna of Lakota (born 1858 in Iowa to Norwegian immigrant parents), who was elected to the United States Senate in 1910. The site never experienced a boom period, and the post office closed 1913 with mail to Rolla. A population of 10 was reported in 1920.



Haarstad, ND
Haarstad, Golden Valley Twp., Williams Co., ND. This was a Great Northern Railroad station, and the post office was established 1906 with Ole G. Haarstad (1838-1923), who came to Otter Tail Co., MN from Norway in 1883, and came here in 1904, as postmaster. The station and post office were moved 1908 one-half mile west to the new townsite of Temple, with Mr. Haarstad continuing as postmaster of Temple p.o.

Hagen, ND
Hagen, farm post office in Shealey Twp., Ward Co., ND, established 1907 with Ole E. Hagen as the first and only as postmaster. Mr. Hagen (1876-1957) came to Portland, North Dakota in 1898 from Norway and settled in Ward Co. in 1904. The post office closed 1909 with mail to Berthold. Mr. Hagen moved to Berthold in 1913 and was active in politics for many years.

Hamar, ND
This settlement began in 1905 in Freeborn Twp., Eddy Co., ND. A post office named Odessa opened 1905 with Erland Christoffersen postmaster. He changed its name to Hamar in 1906, naming it for Hamar, Norway. In 1974 the post office became a Community Post Office affiliated with Tolna. The population peaked at 150 in 1920, decreasing to only six in 2013. Hamar R.F.D. was operating from 1908. NFT 2/2021.



Hammerfest, ND
Hammerfest, a farm post office in Hamerly Twp., Renville Co., ND. It was established 1905 with Simon Olson as postmaster. The name was suggested by Mr. Olson’s uncle, Rev. Jakob Mikaelson, for the city in extreme northern Norway. The post office closed 1907, superseded by R.D. from Mohall.

Hegton, ND
Hegton, a rural post office in Hegton Twp., Grand Forks Co., ND. It was established 1879 with Hans E. Hanson as postmaster, who coined the name from his hometown of Hegstad, Norway. The post office was unofficially known as Hanson, and closed 1882 with mail to Larimore.

Heimdal, ND
Heimdal is a community in Heimdal Twp., Wells Co., ND. This Great Northern Railroad station was founded in 1912 on the newly-built Surrey cutoff line. It was named for Heimdall, the watchman for the gods and guardian of the gate Bifrost at the rainbow bridge in Norse mythology. The Heimdal, ND post office operated 1910-1919 with first postmaster Ole H. Backen. A peak population of 148 was reached in 1960, decreasing to 27 as of the 2010 census.



Hofflund, ND
Hofflund is a township in Williams Co., ND. It was named for John C. Hoff, born in Norway 1862. The post office was established 1895 with Mr. Hoff as postmaster. The post office closed 1907, but re-opened 1908 and finally closed 1936 with mail to White Earth. A population of 12 was reported in 1900.



Homen, ND
Homen, a rural post office in Hope Twp., Cavalier Co., ND, established 1895 with Halvor Homen as postmaster. He later changed his name to Halvor Torgerson. It closed 1933 with mail to Langdon.

Ibsen, ND
Ibsen, rural post office in Black Loam Twp., LaMoure Co., ND, established 1899 with Nicolai Nilson as postmaster. It was named for the Norwegian poet and dramatist, Henrik Ibsen (1828-1906). It was adjacent to a country store run by Knute Saeter, and closed 1900 with mail to Verona.

Kildahl, ND
Kildahl, rural post office in Chain Lakes Twp., Ramsey Co., ND, established 1885 with Andrew J. Kildahl as postmaster, who later served as a county commissioner. A population of 25 was reported in 1890, indicating that a community of sorts had begun to form. The post office closed 1893 with mail to the new Great Northern Railroad townsite of Maza.

Kongsberg, ND (1)
Kongsberg, a pioneer settlement in Dwight Twp., Richland Co., ND, established 1879 with Hans C. N. Myhra as postmaster, who named it for his hometown of Kongsberg, Norway. Mr. Myhra came here in 1871 and was the first assessor for the township. A population of 25 was reported in 1890, but the post office closed 1905, superseded by R.D. from Abercrombie.

Kongsberg, ND (2)
Kongsberg, North Dakota is a tiny near-ghost town in Olivia Twp., McHenry Co., ND. This village was founded in 1900 as Olivia on the Soo Line Railroad. When the post office was established 1916 with Rudolf Christiansen as postmaster, the name was changed to Kongsberg at the suggestion of local elevator manager I. L. Berg, taking the name from his hometown in Norway. The population never exceeded 50, and the post office closed 1958 with mail to Voltaire.



Kringen, ND
Kringen, farm post office in Kohlmeier Twp., Rolette Co., ND, established 1899 with Marie Eikness as postmaster. Her husband, Rev. C. D. Eikness, named it for Kringen, Oppland, Norway. Discontinued 1904 with mail to Twala.

Lake Ibsen, ND
Lake Ibsen, rural post office in Lake Ibsen Twp., Benson Co., ND, established 1886 with Peter E. Morden as postmaster. It was named for the township which was named by L. P. Havrevold, a local state legislator, for the Norwegian poet and dramatist Henrik Ibsen (1828-1906). Mr. Havrevold introduced legislation requiring the teaching of Scandinavian languages at the University of ND. The post office closed 1887 with mail to Church's Ferry.

Landa, ND
Landa is a city in Scotia Twp., Bottineau Co., ND. Landa was founded in 1904. Originally named Strabane, Norwegian immigrants renamed it after Daniel D. Landa and Theodore T. Landa, early settlers in the area. The post office was established as Lauda in 1904 with Jonas J. Johnson, a pioneer merchant, as postmaster, but that order was soon rescinded. It was re-established 1905 with Andrew Helgeson as postmaster, with the spelling corrected. During its boom years it was said that the depot agent was the only person in Landa who was not of Norwegian ancestry. The village, which incorporated in 1922, reached a peak population of 154 in 1920. The population was 38 at the 2010 census, down from 140 in 1930. The post office closed 1991.



Langberg, ND
Langberg is a township in Bowman Co., ND. It was named for Trygve Langberg, a pioneer settler originally from Norway. The Langberg, ND post office opened 1910 with first postmaster Suzie Cook Parks. It closed 1919 with mail to Amor.



Langedahl, ND
Langedahl, a pioneer rural community in Chestina Twp., Kidder Co., ND, established 1888 with Lars S. Langedahl (1861-1946) as postmaster, who had come here in 1880 from Norway. His last name translates as long valley, probably a description of his home in the old country. A population of 18 was reported in 1890, but without a railroad any hope of developing a permanent townsite was dashed. The post office closed 1915 with mail to Tuttle.



Lansford, ND
Lansford, a Great Northern Railroad townsite in Bottineau Co., ND. It was founded in 1902 as Cordon, but the name was changed to Lansford in 1903 by townsite owner Martin Olson, who named it for his hometown of Lansfjord, Norway (wherever that is?). Others say it was named for a Great Northern Railroad construction foreman at the site. The post office was established 1903 with Clarence C. Banks as postmaster. It incorporated as a village in 1904 and became a city in 1907 with J. G. Walstad mayor. In 1905 it became a two-railroad town with the arrival of the Soo Line Railroad. A peak population of 456 was reached in 1910, with a decline to 294 in 1980. The post office is still in operation.



Larson, ND
Larson is a former city in Burke Co., ND. Larson was founded in 1907, named for Columbus Larson, born approx. 1855 in Wisconsin to Norwegian immigrant parents. The post office operated 1907-1980 with Herman E. de Villiers first postmaster. The population was 12 at the 2010 census.
Nearby Columbus, ND is also named for Columbus Larson, as well as Comrey, Alberta, Canada.



Larvik, ND (1)
Larvik was a farm post office in Emmons Co., ND. It was named for Larvik, Vestfold, Norway, and operated from 1899 with Brynhjolf Stolee (Støle) as postmaster. The postmaster’s wife, Anna Karoline Pedersen was born in Brunlanes near Larvik, Norway. This first Larvik, ND post office closed 1902 with mail to Westfield. NFT 8/2017.

Larvik, ND (2)
The second Larvik, ND post office, in McCulley Twp., Emmons Co., came in 1908 when the new postmaster William A. Foell suggested a name-change for the Brofy post office, which had been established 1906, and served the townsite founded in 1904 as Godkin. The new name honored townsite owner Edvard M Larwick, born 1872 in Lervik, Manger, Norway with a slight change in the spelling. Some say the change in spelling was influenced by the Norwegian city of Larvik, which had been the namesake of an earlier Larvik post office in Emmons Co. (See Larvik, ND 1) p.o.).
In 1908 Franz and Balthazar Tempel platted Tempelton on the east side of the Northern Pacific Railroad tracks, and the two adjoining townsites engaged in a lively rivalry until 1911, when they merged as Temvik (See Temvik, ND). NFT 8/2017.



Lee, ND (1)
Lee, rural settlement in Lee township in Nelson Co., ND (Grand Forks Co. to 1883). This rural settlement was named for its township which was named for Samuel and John M. Lee, pioneer settlers in the area. They were born at Liaklev, Børsa, Skaun, Trøndelag, Norway and Americanised their name to Lee. The post office was established 1881 with Ole C. Oleson as postmaster. A population of 20 was reported in 1890, but the lack of a railroad prevented further development, and the post office closed 1905, superseded by R.D. from Aneta.



Lee, ND
Lee, farm post office in Twin Butte Twp., Divide Co., ND, established October 2, 1911 with Peter J. Hansen as postmaster. Most sources say it was named for Iver E. Lee (born Norway 1885), who homesteaded three miles south of here, while some say it was named for either Clarence W. Lee or Hans C. Lee, both area pioneers. The post office closed 1914 with mail to Ambrose.

Lein, ND
Lein is a township in Burleigh Co., ND. It was named for brothers Bernt M. and Johan Martin Lein who came here in 1904. They were from Frosta, Trøndelag, Norway. The Lein, ND post office opened 1905 with Bernt M. Lein as first postmaster. Bernt Lein died 1908, and John took over the postmaster duties until the post office closed 1914 with mail to Driscoll.



Linstad, ND
Linstad, rural post office in Shepherd Twp., Walsh Co., ND, established 1896 with Louis Swenson as postmaster. It was named for Ole Linstad (born 1861 Norway), a pioneer settler in the area, and closed 1914 with mail to Adams.



Lunde, ND
Lunde, a farm post office in Fancher Twp., Ramsey Co., ND, established 1898 with Nils Christopher Lunde (1864-1933) as postmaster. Mr. Lunde came to America in 1888 from his native Norway, returned home in 1893, and came back to America in 1895, settling here in 1898. The post office closed 1901 with mail to Edmore.

Mandt, ND
Mandt, small settlement in Fertile Twp., Walsh Co., ND. The post office opened 1893 with Ole H Wig as postmaster. It was named for Peter Mandt (born 1862 in Norway.), owner of the store where the post office was located. It was closed three months in 1903 and closed for good 1904, superseded by R.D. from Park River.

Manger, ND
Manger, a farm post office in Winner Twp., Williams Co., ND, established 1906 with Johannes O. Manger as postmaster. He was born 1858 in Norway, came here from Minnesota 1906 and died in 1936. The post office closed 1913 with mail to Zahl.



Melby, ND (1)
Melby was a rural post office in McHenry Twp., Foster Co., ND, established 1890 with Knut Melby (born in Norway) as postmaster and named for him. The post office moved and changed name 1899 to McHenry, which was established as a Northern Pacific Railroad terminus.

Melby, ND (2)
Melby was a rural community in Clay Butte Twp., Dunn Co., ND. It was named for Carl Ludwig Melby who was postmaster and schoolteacher and who came from Hurdal, Norway. The Melby, ND post office operated from 1907. In 1914 the post office was relocated to the new Northern Pacific Railroad townsite of Dunn Center.



Mikkelson, ND
Mikkelson, ranch post office in Billings Co., ND, established 1894 with Elias E. Mikkelson as postmaster on his ranch. He was born 1857 in Wisconsin to Norwegian immigrant parents and died 1920. Seven additional postmasters served the local ranchers in this general area until the post office closed 1934 with mail to Gorham.

Miller, ND
Miller, farm post office in Preston Twp., Ransom Co., ND, established 1899 with Ole H. Miller as postmaster (born 1863 Norway). It closed 1905 with mail to Preston.

Moen, ND
Moen, rural post office in Sarnia Twp., Nelson Co. ND, established 1905 with Anders Johannes Moen (1848-1924) from Valdres, Norway as postmaster and named for him. Some say it was named for Lars Moen, who came here as early as 1871 from his home in Freeborn Co., MN, while the Postmaster came here in 1882 from Norway. The post office closed 1907, superseded by R.D. from Michigan.

Mohall, ND
Mohall is a city in Renville Co., ND. This Great Northern Railroad townsite was founded in 1901 by Martin O. Hall, a businessman and newspaperman from Duluth, Minnesota, born 1843 in Romsdalen, Norway. The city was originally named Hall but was changed to Mohall in 1902, both names after M. O. Hall who also was postmaster. The post office opened 1902 and it still in operation. When Renville Co. was formed in 1910, Mohall was named the Co. seat. The population was 783 at the 2010 census. Mohall R.F.D. was established 1906.



Mona, ND
Mona was a rural settlement founded in the early 1880's in Loam Twp., Cavalier Co., ND. The post office was established April 2, 1883 with John J. Wood as postmaster, who named it for Mona Jacobson, the daughter of area pioneer Ole Jacobson who was born 1843 in Norway. A population of 20 was reported in 1890, and a count of 10 was made in 1920; the post office closed 1935 with mail to Langdon.



Mose, ND
Mose was a town in Griggs Co., ND. The townsite was owned by Oscar Greenland; and Mose was the local nickname of Morris Greenland who was born 1880 in Norway. The post office operated 1904-1933 with Knud K. Alfstad as first postmaster.



Nanson, ND
Nanson is a community in Rice Twp., Rolette Co., ND. Nanson was laid out in 1905. The community was named for Fridtjof Nansen, the Norwegian scientist and polar explorer. The Nanson, ND post office operated from 1905 with Oluf H. Johnson first postmaster. A peak population of 125 was reported in 1920, with a decline to just 25 in 1960. The post office closed 1981.



Newburg, ND
Newburg is a city in Tacoma Twp., Bottineau Co., ND. This Great Northern Railroad station was founded in 1905 and named for Andrew H. Newberg, a pioneer settler in the area, with a slight change in the spelling. He was born 1863 in Norway. The Newburg, ND post office opened 1905 with Lewis W. Heath first postmaster, and it is still in operation. The population was 110 at the 2010 census.



Newburgh, ND
Newburgh, rural post office in Newburg Twp., Steele Co., ND, established 1877 to replace a mail route out of Caledonia. Halvor O. Berg from Valdres, Norway (1828-1881), who led a colony of settlers here in 1871 from Northwood, Iowa, was the first Postmaster. The name was intended to be New Berg, noting the site as a new home and honoring Mr. Berg, but through a series of events it was corrupted into Newburgh. After Mr. Berg's death, the Postmaster duties were assumed by his youngest son, Joseph (1859-1940), who closed the post office 1887 with mail to Hatton.

Nord, ND
Nord, farm post office in Cleveland Twp., Walsh Co. ND, established 1900 with Lewis L. Anderson as postmaster (born 1860 Norway). The area was settled by Norwegians, and “nord” means “north” in the Norwegian tongue. The post office closed 1905, superseded by R.D. from Petersburg.

Norge, ND
Norge was a rural settlement in DeWitt Twp., Divide Co., ND. It was named by its Scandinavian settlers for Norway, which is “Norge” in the Norwegian tongue. This name was the result of a compromise after residents could not decide which of their number to name the town after, having also rejected the first compromise name of Green Valley. The Norge, ND post office opened 1907 with Irvin R. Smith postmaster. The Soo Line Railroad established the new townsite of Fortuna one mile to the west in 1913, and the Norge p.o. closed 1913, being replaced the following day by the Fortuna p.o.



Norman, ND
Norman, a rural community in Normanna Twp., Cass Co., ND, it developed around the mill run by Carl Norman (born 1848 Norway). The post office was established 1873 with Soren Ottis (1841-1919) as postmaster. Elling Ulness (1866-1954), later affiliated with two post offices bearing his name, was a storekeeper here. A population of 35 was reported in 1890, but the settlement declined, and the post office closed 1900 with mail to Kindred.

North Viking, ND
North Viking was a rural post office in South Viking Twp., Benson Co., ND, established 1892 with Ole H. Myhre as postmaster. It was named for its township, which was named for the Norse Vikings. The “north” indicated its relative location to the Viking post office four miles south-southeast of here in the same township. The post office closed 1898 with mail to Maddock.

Norton, ND
Norton is a township in Walsh Co., ND. The Norton, ND post office opened 1892 with Per E. Peterson as postmaster and took the name of its Twp. The name from 1883 is an Anglicized compromise name after the Norwegian settlers could not decide on Nordford or Nordland. A population of 15 was reported in 1920. The post office closed 1932 with mail to Adams.



Norwegian, ND
Norwegian, a rural post office in Danzig Twp., McIntosh Co., ND, established 1890. Martin C. Moen was the postmaster in his sod house, and he named his office to note the nationality of most of his patrons. The post office closed 1899 with mail to Ashley.

Numedahl, ND
Numedahl was a farm post office and later village in Hope Twp., Cavalier Co., ND. It was named for the Numedal valley in Norway. The post office operated from 1898 with Halvor Halvorson first postmaster. A population of 10 was reported in 1920. It closed 1926 with mail to Walhalla.



Olesberg, ND
Olesberg, a farm post office in Oakhill Twp., Barnes Co., ND, established 1882 with Ever O. Olesberg as postmaster, who came here in 1878 from Norway. It closed 1885 with mail to Daily.

Ostrem, ND
Ostrem, farm post office in Rosenfield Twp., McIntosh Co., ND, established 1891 with John L. Ostrem as postmaster, born 1865 in WI to Norwegian immigrant parents. It closed 1903 with mail to Danzig.

Petersberg, ND / Petersburg, ND
Petersburg is a city and township in Nelson Co., ND. The Great Northern Railroad townsite of Petersberg was founded in 1882, named for Petersborg in Telemark, Norway. The Petersberg, ND post office opened 1883 with Levi H. Peterson as postmaster. In 1884 he changed the name to Petersburg, supposedly because virtually everyone was spelling the name in this manner. The Petersburg, ND post office opened in 1884 and it is still in operation. The village, which incorporated in 1906, reached a peak population of 367 in 1920, down to 192 at the 2010 census.



Questad, ND
Questad, a farm post office in Muskego Twp., Renville Co., ND, established 1901 with Ingwald M. Questad (born 1881 in Norway) as postmaster at his home. Martin A. Pederson had a country store at the site for a number of years, and A. B. Crow operated a butcher shop. The post office closed 1909 with mail to Carpio.

Ricelake, ND
Ricelake was a farm post office in Rice Lake Twp., Ward Co., ND, established 1898 with John R. Rice (1864-1944) as the first and only as postmaster. Mr. Rice came to America in 1882 from his native Norway and arrived in this area as a labourer with a Great Northern Railroad construction crew. The post office was named for Rice Lake, which was also named for Mr. Rice. It closed 1899 with mail to Minot when Mr. Rice decided to try his luck at ranching in Montana. During the 1920’s this site was a popular resort.

Ring, ND
Ring was a ranch post office in Grand River Twp., Bowman Co., ND, established 1912 with Oluf M. Ring as postmaster. Mr. Ring (1865-1946) came to America from Norway in 1889 and settled here in 1910. The post closed 1919 with mail to Swartwood.

Romfo, ND
Romfo was a rural settlement in Alma Twp., Cavalier Co., ND, established 1882 with Ole J. Romfo as postmaster in his country store (born 1854 Romfo, Sunndal, Møre & Romsdal, Norway). A population of 30 was reported in 1890, but the settlement declined, and the post office closed 1895 with mail to Osnabrock.

Romness, ND
Romness, township in Griggs Co., ND. Peter Mathison and John Hogenson settled here in 1880, and a rural post office was established 1883 with Mr. Mathison as postmaster. It was named for Romnes near Ulefoss, Telemark, Norway, the birthplace of the postmaster's wife. Mr. Hogenson became Postmaster in 1887, and the post office closed 1903 with mail to Cooperstown.

Rude, ND
Rude, farm post office in Hazel Twp., Williams Co., ND, established 1906 with Holm Olson Studsrud (1865-1954) as postmaster at his home. Mr. Studsrud came to America from Norway in 1883, went back to his homeland in 1889, and returned to America in 1891, settling in Williams Co. in 1906. It is thought that the post office's name was coined from the Postmaster's name, “rud” being Norwegian for a clearing in the woods for a farm. The post office closed 1909 with mail to Montrose.

Rudser, ND
Rudser was a small community in Smokey Butte Twp., Divide Co., ND. It was named by and for first postmaster Peter Rudser and located in his country store. He had emigrated from the Rudsar farm in Skjåk, Norway. The Rudser, ND post office operated from 1906 until 1917 when it closed with mail to Zahl.



Sandlie, ND
Sandlie was a ranch post office in Fertile Valley Twp., Divide Co., ND, established 1906 with Clara Isaacson (1874-1957) as postmaster. She came here in 1900 with her husband, Haakin Isaacson (1861-1931). It was named for the Isaacson's hometown in Norway. The post office closed 1913 with mail to Fertile.



Sather, ND
Sather was a farm post office in Burnt Creek Twp., Burleigh Co., ND, established 1901 with Ole Sather as postmaster. Mr. Sather came here in 1882 from Norway with his parents and brothers, was a school district official, and in 1908 organized a rural telephone company, which was renamed in his honor in 1929, eventually being absorbed by Northwestern Bell in 1974. The post office closed 1911 with mail to Wogansport.

Saunders, ND
Saunders was a Milwaukee Road Railroad station built 1883 in Stanley Twp., Cass Co., ND. It was named for A. H. and Ole A. Sanders, owners of the site (born Norway). The post office was established 1895 with John G. Steen as postmaster, and closed 1905 with mail to Wild Rice. A population of 10 was reported in 1920. The station was removed 1940.

Scow, ND
Scow, post office in Cass or Traill Co., ND. This pioneer post office was established 1879 with Ole G. Hangen as postmaster. Its location is not known, although most references point towards Traill Co. as the site. It is said to have been named for the Schow family with a modification of the spelling. The Schows came to America in 1867 from Svindskoug, Garder, Vestby, Norway and were among the first pioneers in the Red River valley in 1870. Alternatively, named for Edwin Schow from Gjøvik, Norway, he fought in the Civil War as a sergeant under Colonel Heg and the 15th Wisconsin Regiment, and was later in River Valley. The Scow, ND post office closed 1880 with mail to Trysil.

Shollsmade, ND
Shollsmade was a farm post office in Dovre Twp., Slope Co., ND, established 1908 with Mrs. Einar (Inga) Sholl as postmaster. The "made" is said to have been an erroneous spelling of “maid”, noting the Sholl’s four children, all girls. Einar Sholl (born 1870 at the Skjølsvik farm, Tingvoll, Møre & Romsdal, Norway) operated a store at the site, and after his death his widow continued the operation. The store went out of business in 1919, and Mrs. Sholl moved the post office into the basement of the Dovre School. The post office closed 1921 with mail to South Heart, and Mrs. Sholl moved to Dickinson.

Sig, ND
Sig was a rural post office in Shell Creek Twp., McLean Co., ND, established 1921 with Arn1jot Sigurd Kjelstrup as postmaster (born 1882 Norway). It was located in the extreme northwest end of the county on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation. Chief Poor Wolf selected the name, which was the nickname of the postmaster, a longtime storekeeper here who was a great friend of the Indian people. The post office closed 1927 with mail to Van Hook. The site was inundated by Lake Sakakawea in the 1950's.

Skaar, ND
Skaar is a community in Loyal Twp., McKenzie Co., ND. It was named for local rancher Edward Skaar, born in Norway 1878 and came to the USA 1897. A population of 30 was reported in 1920. The Skaar, ND post office opened 1912 with Nancy Clements postmaster and closed 1955 with mail to Sidney, MT.



Skermo, ND
Skermo was a farm post office in Elkhorn Twp., Divide Co., ND. It was authorized 1908 as Norum with Ole J. Skjermo as postmaster, who named it for Norum, Sogn & Fjordane, Norway, but the order was rescinded. He came from Skjørmoen, Surnadal, Norway. It was reestablished same year as Skermo, and named for the postmaster, with the "j" omitted in an attempt to Anglicize the name. The post office was located on the northwest shore of Skjermo Lake, also named for the postmaster, and closed 1914 with mail to Alkabo.



Skogmo, ND
Skogmo was a community in Cransville Twp., Sheridan Co., ND. It was named for storekeeper John T. Skogmo who was first postmaster. His Norwegian name was Johannes Teodor Skogmo (1879-1927), from Skogmo, Overhalla, Nord-Trøndelag. The Skogmo, ND post office was in operation from 1904, and closed 1932 with mail to Kieborn. The store run by Harold O. Ostrom was destroyed by fire about 1940, when the population of the town was just 6. Skogmo became a ghost town, and the site is now a plowed field with no traces of the former settlement to be found. NFT 6/2017.



Sogn, ND
Sogn, rural post office in Field Twp., Nelson Co., ND, established 1887 with Nils E. Slinde as postmaster. The name was selected by settlers from Sogn & Fjordane, Norway. A population of 12 was reported in 1890. The post office closed 1905, superseded by R.D. from Aneta.

Sorkness, ND
Sorkness, a farm post office in Mountrail Co., ND. A farm post office was authorized June 1903 with Henry O. Sorkness as postmaster, but the order was rescinded. It would have been located in Sorkness Twp. Mr. Sorkness and his brother, George Sorkness, came here in 1902 from Ashby, MN, where their Norwegian-born father had settled. The post office was re-established October 1903 with Frank J. Haines as postmaster at his home in Powers Lake Township just across the section line from the Sorkness home, and closed 1911 with mail to White Earth.

Standy, ND
Standy, rural post office in Viking Twp., Richland Co., ND, established 1895 with Ole K. Standy, who came here about 1881 from Vang, Norway, as the postmaster in his general store, and closed 1905, superseded by R.D. from Homestead.

Stella, ND
Stella, a farm post office in Big Stone Twp., Williams Co., ND, established 1907 with Andrew J. Aaberg as postmaster. He named it for Stella Steen, who homesteaded in the adjoining section in 1907 and later that year became his bride. Stella was born 1886 in North Dakota to Norwegian immigrant parents. The post office closed 1912 with mail to Wildrose.

Stordahl, ND
Stordahl was a rural post office in Hazel Twp., Williams Co., ND, established 1903 with Edward O. Salveson as postmaster. The name came from Stjørdal, Norway, and was selected after postal officials rejected the name Arne. The post office closed 1913 with mail to Wildrose.



Storlie, ND
Storlie was a rural post office in Cavalier Co., ND, established 1899 with Martin Martinson as postmaster at his home in Storlie Twp. It was later moved to the home of new postmaster Halvor O. Storlie in Gordon Twp. Both the post office and the township were named for Mr. Storlie (born 1862 Norway). The post office moved 1905 to the new Soo Line Railroad townsite of Alsen, adopting the new name. Alsen p.o. is still in operation.

Svold, ND
Svold was an Icelandic settlement in Advance Twp., Pembina Co., ND that began in 1897. The name is that of an island mentioned in the Norse sagas where a battle was fought in year 1000 between Norwegian Vikings and a coalition of Denmark, Sweden, and England. The location of Svold (often written Svolder) is not known. The post office was established 1899 with Halldor Vivatson as postmaster in his country store. The post office closed 1943 with mail to Akra.



Tansem, ND
Tansem was a farm post office in Lincoln Valley Twp., Divide Co., ND, established 1911 with Peter Tansem as postmaster. Thew name probably originates from Tansum, Eidsvoll, Norway. The post office closed 1920 with mail to Colgan.

Temvik, ND
Village in McCulley Twp., Emmons Co., ND. The name is a combination of the first part of Tempelton and the last part of Larvik. In 1908 Franz and Balthazar Tempel platted Tempelton on the east side of the Northern Pacific Railroad tracks. On the west side, Brofy, and later Larvik had been developed since 1906. The Larvik name honored townsite owner Edvard M Larwick, born 1872 in Lervik, Manger, Norway with a slight change in the spelling. Some say the change in spelling was influenced by the Norwegian city of Larvik, which had been the namesake of an earlier Larvik post office in Emmons Co. (See both Larvik, ND post offices). The two adjoining townsites engaged in a lively rivalry until 1911, when they merged as Temvik after postal officials rejected the name Union City. The Temvik post office opened 1911 with Ezra P. Zunkel as postmaster. The village once claimed a population of about 200, but the 1960 count was just 45. The post office closed 1968 with mail to Linton. NFT 8/2017.



Thor, ND
Thor was a farm post office in Eidsvold Twp., Bottineau Co., ND, established 1899 with John Gunder Vedquam as postmaster. He was a native of Norway, coming here in 1887, and named the post office for Thor, the Norse god of thunder. The post office closed 1906, superseded by R.D. from Landa.

Thorson, ND
Thorson, rural post office established in Thorson Twp., Burke Co., ND 1905 with Ole Andershaug Olson as postmaster. It was named for its township, which was named for D. H. Thorson, a local homesteader. This was most likely Halvor Thorson, b. c.1833 Norway, probably from Telemark; he was among the first settlers in Williams county, just southwest of Thorson township. The post office moved 1910 to Stoneview Twp., Divide Co. to the farm home of new postmaster August Person. The post office closed 1912 with mail to McGregor.



Trysil, ND
Trysil, a rural post office in Wiser Twp., Cass Co., ND, established 1873 with Ole Strandvold as postmaster, who named it for his birthplace of Trysil, Østerdalen, Norway. The post office closed 1899 with mail to Georgetown, MN. Mr. Strandvold was an experienced newspaperman and was influential in promoting a group of Norwegians in Iowa to come here, forming what was known as the Osterdahl Settlement.

Ulness, ND (1)
Ulness was a rural post office in River Valley Twp., Dickey Co., ND, established 1883 with Elling O. Ulness as postmaster (b. 1862 Ulnes, Nord-Aurdal, Norway, d 1929). The Ulness post office moved and changed name to Gloverd 1887, Mr. Ulness continuing as postmaster. He left in 1888, and in 1898 began another Ulness post office in Richland Co., see Ulness, ND (2).

Ulness, ND (2)
Ulness, post office in Walcott Twp., Richland Co., ND. Elling O. Ulness had operated a post office in Dickey Co. 1883-1887, see Ulness, ND (1). In 1898 he was appointed as postmaster of the new Ulness post office. Elling Ulness moved to Wilton in 1903, and his brother, Engebret (1864-1921), became postmaster. The Ulness post office closed 1905, superseded by R.D. from Kindred.

Valhall, ND
Valhall was a farm post office in Valhalla Twp., Wells Co., ND, established 1891 with Peter M. Mattson as postmaster. The name was coined from the name of its township, which was named by Scandinavian settlers for Valhalla, the hall of slain warriors in Norse mythology. The post office closed 1892 with mail to New Rockford.

Vang, ND
Vang, pioneer settlement in Hope Twp., Cavalier Co., ND. The post office was established 1887 with John Dahlvang as postmaster, who coined its name from his own. A population of 25 was reported in 1890, a peak of 30 residents were counted in 1920, and 15 citizens were reported as late as 1940, but the post office closed 1935, and the town disappeared from maps in the 1960's.



Viking, ND (1)
Viking was a rural village in South Viking Twp., Benson Co, ND, founded in the 1880's and named for its township, which was named by Timan Levorson Quarve for the legendary Norse Vikings. It was eight miles south-southeast of Maddock, and at one time had a store, church, and a post office established 1888 with Mr. Quarve as postmaster. The village declined and it became a ghost town. The post office closed 1906, superseded by R.D. from Maddock.

Viking, ND (2)
Viking, a Great Northern Railroad station in Norway Lake Twp., Wells Co., ND. It was named for the Norse Vikings. The Viking, ND post office opened 1907 with Frank Schroeder postmaster. The name was unpopular with the local settlers, most of whom were Germans, so in 1913 the name was changed to Hamberg.



Voss, ND
Voss is a community in Walsh Centre Twp., Walsh Co., ND. It was founded by homesteader Andrew P. Herom who named it for Voss, Norway. Two blocks were platted in 1892, but the village failed to ever report a population greater than 60. The Voss, ND post office opened 1888 with Frank E. Vorachek first postmaster. The post office closed 1983 with mail to Minto.



Walhalla, ND
Founded in the 1840's as Saint Joseph, the name was changed to Walhalla in 1871 when George W. Reed was postmaster. The name is an Anglicized version of Valhalla, the hall of slain warriors in Norse mythology, and was suggested to note the beauty of the area. The Great Northern Railroad extended its branch line from Grafton to this point in 1898. A peak population of 1,471 was reached in 1970. The Walhalla, ND post office is still in operation. Walhalla R.F.D. was established 1904.
Walhalla, ND is the oldest North Dakota post office with documented name of Norwegian or Norse origin.



Walhalla & Grafton, ND R.P.O.
Great Northern Railway. Walhalla to Cavalier, Crystal, Nash, Grafton and Grand Forks. Route 876.12. Railway post office for the 64 miles line between Walhalla, ND and Grafton, ND, in operation 1910-1918. See Walhalla, ND for the origin of the Walhalla name.

Walhalla & Grand Forks, ND R.P.O.
Great Northern Railway. Walhalla to Cavalier, Crystal, Nash, Grafton and Grand Forks. Route 876.12. Railway post office for the 104 miles line between Walhalla, ND and Grand Forks, ND, in operation 1903-1910 and 1918-1934. See Walhalla, ND for the origin of the Walhalla name.



Walle, ND
Walle, rural post office in Walle Twp., Grand Forks Co., ND, established 1878 with Ole Olson Upsahl as postmaster. It was named for its township, which was named by Olav N. Loiland (1842-1933) and his brothers, who were the first permanent settlers here, coming from Valle, Setesdal, Norway. The post office closed 1902, superseded by R.D. from Thompson.

Walum, ND
Walum is a community in Greenfield Twp., Griggs Co., ND, First called Gunderson, for landowner Aslak Gunderson, it was re-named Walum, honoring Martinus O. Wallum, an early settler and prosperous farmer. Martinus O. Wallum was son of Ole Haakensen Vollum from Ringsaker, Norway. The Walum, ND post office opened 1904 with Norwegian Martin J. Mossing first postmaster. Walum never had a boom period, with a peak population of 100 being claimed in 1920, but an actual count of just 30 in 1960. The post office closed 1973 with mail to Hannaford.



Wiprud, ND
Wiprud is a township in McLean Co., ND. This rural post office was established 1902 as Casey. In 1904 the post office was taken over by Stener T. Wiprud, a native of Norway, who with his brother operated a country store at this site. They changed the name of the post office to Wiprud and operated it until 1914 when mail went to Turtle Lake.



Wolseth, ND
Wolseth is a Great Northern Railroad station in Ward Co., ND. It was founded in 1915 and named for Gunder T. Wolseth (1872-1950), who came to Minnesota in 1893 from Norway, and moved here in 1902. He donated the land for the townsite. A small village began, but the 1920 population of 25 was never exceeded. The Wolseth, ND post office operated from 1915 with William R. White postmaster. It closed 1972 with mail to Glenburn.



Not confirmed: Albert, ND
Albert, Albert Twp., Benson Co., ND. A rural community existed here as early as 1882 and was called Albert for pioneer settler O. A. Albertson. A post office was established 1891 with Anne T. Jacobson as postmaster. Mrs. Jacobson retained the name in part to note her former home of Albert Lea, which was named for Albert Miller Lea (1808-1891), a pioneer surveyor in the upper Mississippi and Missouri River valleys. The post office closed 1895 with mail to Minnewaukan. It was re-established 1898 about two miles southeast of the original site, but closed for good 1906, superseded by R.D. from Maddock.
Ulvestad (1906) says the place name is Norwegian. Can’t find any match on FamilySearch.

Not confirmed: Bertha, ND
Bertha, Hillside Twp., Rolette Co., ND. Established, 1903, closed 1914 with mail to Dunseith.
Postal Bulletin says first postmaster Martin P. Miller.
Williams (and Wick) says this was a farm post office established June 6, 1903 with Bertha Rigstad as the first and only as postmaster.
Ulvestad (1906) says the place name is Norwegian.
It could well be that the post office was named for Bertha Rigstad, but it seems she never was postmaster. She is not found in the Postal Bulletins, not found in FamilySearch.



Not confirmed: Hanson, ND
Hanson, farm post office in Gerrard Twp., Towner Co., ND. Named for pioneer settler Henry Hanson and established 1888 with John K. Aanes as postmaster. The post office closed 1890 when it was replaced by the facility in the new Great Northern Railroad townsite of Bisbee.

Not confirmed: Martha, ND
Martha was a farm post office in Lake George Twp., McHenry Co., ND, established 1903 with Robert H. Thom (Thorn?) as postmaster. His home had been used as a mail drop as early as 1900. The choice of the name is unexplained. The post office closed 1905 with mail to Drake. Ulvestad (1906) says the place name is Norwegian.

Not confirmed: Oscar, ND
Oscar, rural post office in Blue Hill Twp., McLean Co., ND. Established 1903 with Gilbert O. Gilbertson as postmaster, who named it for his father, pioneer homesteader Oscar G. Gilbertson. A country store was added to the post office in 1904, and a school was built here in 1909. Discontinued 1909, superseded by R.D. from Ryder.

Not confirmed: Overly, ND
Overly, Bottineau/Rolette Co., ND. This Soo Line Railroad station was founded 1905 in Cecil Twp., Bottineau Co., some years later expanding into Kohlmeier Twp., Rolette Co., making Overly a two-county townsite. Some say it was named for Hans Overlie, a pioneer settler, with a corruption of the spelling, while others say it was named by Soo Line Railroad officials to note the one-day layover by their crews at this site, or for one of their officials. The post office was established 1905 with Jay O. Smith as postmaster. The village reached a peak population of 193 in 1920, declining to just 25 in 1980. The post office closed 1996 with mail to Willow City.






Coloured line


Index     Previous     Next     Home


Coloured line
This page is designed by Hallvard Slettebø.
Please e-maiI me with questions, comments and suggestions for improvement: hallvard@slettebo.no
Text and Web Layout - Copyright © 2021 Hallvard Slettebø.