Norway in America - Wisconsin

Post office names in USA and Canada with Norwegian origin.
Research by Hallvard Slettebø and Dag Henriksbø.


This page was updated 10 May 2021

Within four years of the migration of the sloopers from New York to Illinois, Norwegian settlement had turned definitely into Wisconsin following the direction of the larger westward movement of American population. By 1850 there were 9,467 Norwegians in Wisconsin, and by 1860 they numbered 29,557, and by 1870 they numbered 59,619. The Norwegians have been, from the first, the most numerous of the three Scandinavian groups in Wisconsin.

Alstad, WI
Alstad, post office in Anderson Twp., Burnett Co., WI. Established 1884 and named after an early Norwegian settler, James Alstad, possibly the same person as the postmaster Jens J. Alstad. Discontinued 1906, superseded by R.D. from Grantsburg. The site is now a forest, conservation and wildlife area.



Anderson, WI
Anderson, post office in Anderson Twp., Burnett Co., WI. Changed name from Berdo 1863. Named after its postmaster Canute Anderson who emigrated from Norway 1851. The post office was discontinued 1885 with mail to Grantsburgh. See Berdo, WI and Grantsburg, WI. NFT 1/2017.



Arland, WI
Arland, township in Barron Co., WI. Probably named for Arland or Aurland in Norway by Ole Johnson (b. 1850 Norway), who kept a general store and was instrumental in the organisation of the township. The post office was established 1896 with Peter E. Howe as postmaster (b. 1855 Norway). Discontinued 1906, superseded by R.D.

Berdo, WI
Berdo, post office in Polk Co., WI. The location is the same as for Anderson, WI (Burnett Co. was organised 1865). Knud Ingvardsen Eggum was born 1826 in Lærdal, Sogn, Norway; he received a common school education, emigrated 1851, and in 1853 became the first white settler here, he Americanized his name to Canute Anderson. Anderson became a leading local political figure, representing the district in the state assembly in the late 1870s and early 1880s. The Berdo post office was established 1860 with Knud Ingvardsen Eggum (Canute Anderson) as postmaster. Berdo or Bardo is the name of a place in Norway from which many of the settlers came, quite possibly Bardu, Troms. It changed name to Anderson in 1863. See Anderson, WI and Grantsburg, WI. NFT 1/2017.

Bergen, WI (1)
Bergen, post office in Genoa Twp., Vernon Co., WI. Established 1856 with Jacob Kelsey postmaster, the name was changed to Genoa 1867 and it is still in service. Named for Bergen, Norway. Genoa Township was created 1870 from part of Bergen Township and part of Wheatland Twp.

Bergen, WI (2)
Bergen, post office in Bergen Twp., Vernon Co., WI. Established 1850 as Warner’s Landing with John Warner postmaster, name-change to Bergen 1874 with Willis Chase postmaster. Discontinued 1887 with mail to Stoddard. Named for Bergen, Norway. Settlement began with the arrival of Halver Jorgenson and Andrew Emberson in 1852.

Bergen, WI (3)
Bergen, post office in Clinton Twp., Rock Co., WI, established 1895 with Charles K Johnson as postmaster. This was a solid Norwegian neighborhood, and the post office must have been named for Bergen, Norway. Discontinued 1903, superseded by R.D. from Clinton.



Bloomingdale, WI
Bloomingdale, post office in Vernon Co., WI. The early Norwegian settlers referred to the area as “Blome Dalen” (which loosely translates to Flower Valley). Eventually it came to be called Bloomingdale. The post office was established 1858 with M.B. Nichols as postmaster. Discontinued 1905, superseded by R.D. from Westby.

Bradtville, WI
Bradtville, post office in Wyalusing Twp., Grant Co., WI. The post office was established 1864 with Joakim Bradt as postmaster. He was a direct descendent of Arent Andriessen Bradt who together with his family from Fredrikstad was among the first Norwegian immigrants to New Netherlands (New York) in 1637, and the founders of the Bradt family in America. Discontinued 1902, superseded by R.D. from Bagley.

Branstad, WI
Branstad, post office in Grantsburg Twp., Burnett Co., WI. Named in honour of Ole. C. (Anderson) Branstad (born c.1840 in Norway), an early settler, an honoured member of the 15th Wis. Volunteers during the Civil War, and one of the trusted men of his time in this century. The post office opened 1897 with Canute T. Clementson postmaster and was discontinued 1904, superseded by R.D. from Grantsburg.

Christiana, WI
Christiana, post office in Christiana Twp., Dane Co., WI. The post office opened 1846, named by Gunnul Olson Vindæg in honour of Christiania, the capital of Norway, his native land. William M. Mayhew first postmaster. Changed name to Rockdale 1885, rural station of Cambridge 1955. NFT 6/2019.



Dahl, WI
Dahl, Baldin Twp., Saint Croix Co., WI. The post office was established 1895 with first postmaster Sigur Johnson. The post office had its name from the pioneer Elling Ellingson Offerdahl (born 1838 in Norway). Discontinued 1895, re-established 1899 and finally closed 1902.

Denoon, WI
Denoon, post office in Waukesha/Racine Co., WI. Named for James DeNoon Reymert (born 1821 Farsund, Norway). The post office opened 1851 in Muskego Twp., Waukesha Co., 1853 moved to unknown location in Racine Co., 1892 back to Muskego Twp., Waukesha Co. and was 1903 superseded by R.D. from Muskego. Lister 2017 exhibition catalog. OFK-info 4/2016.

Eggan, WI
Eggan, Colburn Twp., Chippewa Co., WI. The post office opened 1901, named for postmaster John Eggan, born 1851 in Norway. Superseded 1907 by R.D. from Cornell.

Eidsvold, WI
Eidsvold is a community in Thorp Twp., Clark Co., WI. Named for Eidsvoll, Norway where the Constitution of Norway was signed in 1814. The Eidsvold, WI post office was established 1884 with Jacob Bye postmaster. Closed 1903, re-established 1905 and was 1906 superseded by R.D. from Stanley. NFT 3/2020.



Ekdall, WI
Ekdall, West Marshland Twp., Burnett Co., WI. The post office opened 1891 with Theodor E. Ryan postmaster. Discontinued 1917 with mail to Grantsburg. The community had a church, school, and post office. It has completely disappeared. There are two accounts of the origin of the name:
- It was populated by a large group of Swedish people who gave the name to the post office. Ekdall means "oak slope" or "oak dale". Ole Johanson wanted the post office to be called Meadow Hill, but more people liked Ekdall because there are so many oak trees in that area.
- Norwegian settlers claimed this location and Even Ryen named it Ekdall after a farm in Norway. Ulvestad (1906) says the place name is Norwegian.



Engoe, WI
Engoe, post office in Washburn Twp., Bayfield Co., WI. Established 1900 and named for postmaster Hans T. Engoe, born 1860 in Norway. Closed 1905 with mail to Barksdale.

Ephraim, WI
Ephraim is a village in Gibralter Twp., Door Co., WI. It was founded by Norwegian Moravians led by the Rev. Andreas (Andrew) Iverson. Iverson suggested several biblical names, from which the congregation chose Ephraim, which appears in both the Old and New Testament, and has been associated with 'fruitful'. The Ephraim, WI post office opened 1861 with Hans P. Jacobs first postmaster and it is still in operation. NFT 1/2018.



Esofea, WI
Esofea, post office in Jefferson Twp., Vernon Co., WI. Established by Even Tomtengen in 1868. Even Larson Tomten was born 1842 in Biri, Norway, emigrated in 1850, and the family modified their name from Tomten to Tomtengen after a while in America. Local accounts are that Tomtengen, who kept a general store from the mid-1860s, created the post office name by combining the E from Even with a respelling of Sophia, reportedly the name of his wife or another family member. The post office was established 1868 with Even Larson postmaster (he did not used the Tomten/Tomtengen name then), was discontinued 1869, re-established 1870, and closed 1905, superseded by R.D. from Westby.



Fagervick, WI
Fagerwick, post office in Washington Island Twp., Door Co., WI. The name is an Americanized version of the Norwegian Fagervik which roughly translates to “Beautiful Bay”. The name was coined by the Norwegian landowner who had bought land on speculation and planned to split it up and sell to fellow Norwegians. His plan was apparently not successful. The post office is listed as established 1881 with the landowner Knud O. Shellswick as postmaster. Discontinued 1882 with mail to Washington Harbor.

Foss, WI
Foss, post office in Rock Falls Twp., Lincoln Co., WI. Established 1899 with Martin L. Foss as first postmaster. He was born in Minnesota 1868 to Norwegian immigrant parents. Discontinued 1900, re-established 1905, discontinued 1909 with mail to Schulz.



Freya, WI
Freya, post office in Wood River Twp., Burnett Co., WI. Named after the Norse goddess of love. The post office was established 1890 with Erick A. Erickson postmaster. Superseded 1904 by R.D. from Grantsburg.

Grantsburgh, WI / Grantsburg, WI
Grantsburg, town and county seat in Burnett Co., WI. Founded by Canute Anderson who emigrated from Norway 1851, and named for General Ulysses S. Grant. The post office was established 1862 as Wood River, moved/changed 1867 to Grantsburgh with William Forsell as postmaster. Changed to Grantsburg 1893. It is still in service. The population was 1,384 in 2019. See Anderson, WI and Berdo, WI. NFT 1/2017.



Gunderson, WI
Gunderson, post office in Cable Twp., Bayfield Co., WI. The railway from Hudson to the booming city of Cable was completed in 1880. A post office was established 1880, named Gunderson for Lars L. Gunderson, born 1850 in Brandval, Kongsvinger, Norway, representative to Wisconsin State Legislature, postmaster of Cumberland, and owner of one of the new stores in Cable. The post office was located in postmaster Hans N. Amble’s grocery store. Name-change to Cable in 1882, closed 1883, re-established 1884 and still in service. NFT 7/2020.



Gunderson & Hudson, WI R.P.O.
AAshland to Cable (Gunderson), Spooner, Cumberland, Turtle Lake, Clayton, New Richmond, Hudson, Saint Paul and Minneapolis. Route 853.
A railway post office which operated on the 121 miles line between Gunderson/Cable and Hudson, WI. Established 4 Sep 1882 as Gunderson & Hudson R.P.O. and already from 26 Oct 1882 extended to Cable & Hudson R.P.O. The GUND. & HUDSON R.P.O. postmark was used at least until 1884. Extended to Bayfield-Hudson in 1884. See Gunderson, WI for the origin of the Gunderson name. NFT 7/2020.



Hainesville, WI
Hainesville, post office in Nasewaupee Twp., Door Co., WI. Named for early settler Tallak Tellefsen Haines from Høn, Bamble, Norway. Haines became the Americanized version of Høn/Høen, his Norwegian home and Hainesville was called "little Bamble" for the many immigrants from this area in Telemark, Norway. The post office was established 1896 with Stina Torgersen postmaster. Superseded 1902 by R.D. from Sawyer. Monica Hegglid Berthelsen writes about "Little Bamble".

Hansen, WI
Hansen, post office in Wood Co., WI, established 1883, named by and for postmaster Martin R. Hansen who settled here in 1883 (born 1849 in Norway). Discontinued 1905.

Hanson, WI
Hanson, post office in Alden Twp., Polk Co., WI, named for John A. Hansen, born 1841 in Norway. In operation January-August 1874 with N.A. Lee as postmaster.

Haugen, WI
Haugen is a village in Oak Grove Twp., Barron Co., WI. Named by and for Congressman Nils Pederson Haugen (1849-1931). He was born in Modum, Buskerud, Norway, Haugen immigrated to the United States in 1854 with his parents. The Haugen, WI post office opened in 1889 with Oliver Stokes first postmaster and it is still in operation. The population was 287 at the 2010 census. NFT 1/2021.



Hegg, WI
Hegg, post office in Ettrick Twp., Trempealeau Co., WI. Named for Colonel Hans Christian Heg, born Buskerud, Norway. In operation from 1871 with Knud K. Hallenger as postmaster. Discontinued 1906 with mail to Ettrick.

Holindale, WI / Hollindale, WI / Hollandale, WI
Hollandale is a village in Moscow Twp., Iowa Co., WI, first called Bennville. Both names are for farmer, merchant and stock dealer Bjorn Sjursson "Ben" Holland, born 1841 in Etnesjøen, Norway. In 1846 his parents came to America, bringing with them nine children, locating in Wisconsin. In 1887 he built a small shack and put in a stock of goods to supply the construction crew working on the Illinois Central Railroad. A small community grew, the Holindale post office was established 1888 with Michael E. McDonnel postmaster, name-change to Hollindale 1889 and to Hollandale 1890. It is still in operation. The population was 288 at the 2010 census. Hollandale R.F.D. was established 1902.



Holmen, WI
Holmen is a village in Holland Twp., La Crosse Co., WI. Norwegian immigrants settled this area in 1862, first called Frederickstown and later Cricken. The name was changed to Holmen when the post office was established 1875, with Carl August Sjolander as postmaster, dealer in general stock, born in Løyten, Norway 1851 and came to America in 1865. The name “Holmen” is a Norwegian word and translates to islet (a small island). Another source says it is named for a Mr. Holmen who in 1851 was one of a group that surveyed the territory and later became state senator on Indiana. The p.o. is still in operation. The population was 9,005 as of the 2010 census. Holmen R.F.D. was established 1901.



Holmsville, WI
Holmsville, Strongs Prairie Twp., Adams Co., WI. Christian C. Holm, recently arrived from Norway, laid out the community of Holmsville. The post office opened 1915 with Leon Gross postmaster. Name-change to Dellwood 1927, converted to rural branch 1966 and later to a CPO.



Holt, WI
Holt, post office in Franzen Twp., Marathon Co., WI, established 1900 with Adolph J. Torgerson postmaster. Probably named for Holt near Tvedestrand, Norway, Torgerson's ancestral home. Discontinued 1915 with mail to Hatley.

Iduna, WI
Iduna, post office in Trempealeau Co., WI. A name taken from Idun, the Norse goddess associated with youth. The post office was established 1900 with John O. Hovre postmaster and superseded 1904 by R.D. from Ettrick.

Jerpen, WI
Jerpen, settlement in Manitowoc Co., WI. Gjerpen was one of the oldest Norwegian settlements in the state, name for Gjerpen, Telemark, Norway). The Jerpen post office opened 1899 with Nels A. Findall as postmaster. Discontinued 1904, superseded by R.D. from Manitowoc.

Klevenville, WI
Klevenville is a community located in the town/Township of Springdale, Dane Co., WI. The community was named for first postmaster, carpenter and storekeeper Iver Kleven who settled here in 1869. He was born in Norway around 1835. The post office was established 1882 as Bluff, with Albert K. Sorenson postmaster. Name-change 1891 to Klevenville, and discontinued 1952, superseded by R.D. from Mount Horeb. The Klevenville R.F.D. operated from 1902.



Kroghville, WI
Kroghville, post office in Lake Mills Twp., Jefferson Co., WI. Named for Casper Krogh who emigrated from Norway, dammed Koshkonong Creek, and established a sawmill in the mid-1840s. The post office was established 1862 with Alexander McCracken postmaster and operated until closing 1887 with mail to London.

Landstadt, WI / Landstad, WI
Landstad, post office in Waukechon Twp., Shawano Co., WI. The Landstadt post office was established in 1882 with Sven J. Mogan postmaster, who may have chosen the name to honour Magnus Brostrup Landstad (1802-1880), a Norwegian minister and hymnist. The last T in the name was dropped from 1883. Landstad was discontinued 1887, re-established 1889, and finally discontinued 1902, superseded by R.D. from Bonduel.

Larsen, WI
Larsen is a community in Clayton Twp., Winnebago Co., WI. Originally called Lee’s Crossing as the land was owned by Halvor Lee. The Chicago and North Western Railroad crossed the highway here and established a flag stop. About 1888 Philip Larsen built a small grocery store, and the name was changed to Larsen. He was born 1834 in Norway. The Larsen, WI post office opened in 1898 with Lars C. Nelson first postmaster, and it is still in operation. Larsen R.F.D. was established 1903.



Lovass, WI
Lovass, post office in Christiana Twp., Vernon Co., WI. Named for Jacob Lovass, the first settler of that part of the town, born 1836 in Norway. The post office opened 1875 with Christian Olson postmaster. Discontinued 1900, superseded by R.D. from Westby.

Martinsen, WI
Martinsen, post office in Cloverland Twp., Douglas Co., WI, established 1905 and named by and for postmaster Martin H. Martinsen. He was born c.1875 in Norway. Discontinued 1916 with mail to Brule.

Moeville, WI
Moeville is a community in Trimbelle Twp., Pierce Co., WI. It was named by and for Ingvar S. Moe who came from Norway in 1883, purchased timber land here and opened a sawmill and built a feed mill and flour mill as well. The Moeville, WI post office opened 1891 with Ingvar S. Moe as postmaster, and it closed 1902, superseded by R.D. from Ellsworth.



Ness, WI
Ness, post office in Drammen Twp., Eau Claire Co., WI, established 1884 and Torger Larson was the only postmaster. It was named for pioneer settler Otto Andreassen Ness (b. 1848 Norway, immigrated 1873). Discontinued 1887 with mail to Mondovi.

Nidaros, WI
Nidaros, post office in Rock Co., WI. Its location is not found. Nidaros is an historic name for the city of Trondheim, Norway. The post office was established 1855 with James F. Bodtker as postmaster., and was discontinued 1856. James Bodtker was born in Norway 1833, immigrated to the United States around 1850 and settled in Wisconsin. He is best known for his photography and artwork, in particular photographs he took around the time of the Civil War which included Wisconsin soldiers and politicians. He died 1908 in Chicago.

Nora, WI
Nora is a community in Cottage Grove Twp., Dane Co., WI. It was “a very Norwegian settlement”, and Andrew A. Prescott, the first postmaster, sought a Norwegian name for the office and created Nora, a name intended to suggest Norway. The Nora, WI post office was established 1869, discontinued 1892, re-established 1893 and finally discontinued 1902 with mail to Deerfield.


Norden, WI
Norden, post office in Naples Twp., Buffalo Co., WI, established 1891 with John P. Aasen as postmaster (born 1859 Norway). ‘Norden’ is a Scandinavian term for the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden, including their associated territories. Closed 1900, superseded by R.D. from Mondovi.

Norseville, WI
Norseville, settlement in Clair Creek Twp., Eau Claire Co., WI. The name was chosen due to the large number of Norwegians in the settlement. The post office opened 1881 with Charles H. Evans postmaster. Discontinued 1903, superseded by R.D. from Strum. NFT 7/2018.



Norske, WI
Norske, post office in Harrison Twp., Waupaca Co., WI. The name means “The Norwegian”. The post office was established 1900 with Andreas Merde (born c.1866 Norway) as postmaster. Discontinued 1907, superseded by R.D. from Northland.



North Cape, WI
North Cape is a community in Baymond Twp., Racine Co., WI. Mons Knudson Aadland came from Norway on bark Ægir in 1837, and settled in Racine Co. in 1840, buying a farm of a hundred and sixty acres. This part of the settlement came to be known as North Cape, named after the famous landmark in northern Norway. The North Cape, WI post office was established 1858 with Knut Adland as postmaster. Discontinued 1917, superseded by R.D. from Franksville. NFT 7/2019.



Northland, WI
Northland is a community located in Waupaca Co., WI within the town of Harrison. It was named by Norwegian settlers. The Northland, WI post office was established in 1890 with postmaster Ole Amundsen Buslett (1855-1924), author, newspaperman, and politician. He was born in Gausdal, Norway and migrated to the United States with his family in 1868. The post office was discontinued 1938, superseded by R.D. from Iola.



Norway, WI
Norway, post office in Norway Twp., Racine Co., WI. The first group of Norwegian settlers arrived 1in 1840. The post office was established 1847 with Even H. Heg as postmaster (born 1789 in Norway). Name-change to Wind Lake 1872, closed 1904.

Norway Grove, WI
Norway Grove, post office in Vienna Twp., Dane Co., WI. Established 1872 with Helge Tollefson as postmaster (born Norway 1823) and named for his home country. Discontinued 1906, superseded by R.D. from DeForest.



Norway Ridge, WI
Norway Ridge is a community in Scott Twp., Monroe Co., Wisconsin. It was named by Norwegian settlers. The Norway Ridge, WI post office was established 1874 with William H.H. Dodge as postmaster. Discontinued 1917 with mail to Valley Junction.



Odin, WI
Odin, post office in Whitestown Twp., Vernon Co., WI. Odin was the principal god in Norse mythology. The post office opened 1869 with Salma Rogers as postmaster. Discontinued 1874.

Oslo, WI
Oslo, post office in Cato Twp., Manitowoc Co., WI. It was named for Oslo, which prior to 1925 was the Old Town of Christiania, the capital of Norway. The post office was established 1856 with farmer Anders Olson Aubol (he also used the name Aabol) as postmaster; he was born 1818 in Aabøl, Nord-Aurdal, Norway. Discontinued 1884, re-established 1887, discontinued 1888, re-established 1889 and finally discontinued 1904, superseded by R.D. from Cato.

Rosholt, WI
Rosholt is a village in Alban township, Portage Co., WI. It is named for John Gilbert Rosholt who built the first sawmill in town. He was son of Jacob and Johanna Rosholt, who came to Wisconsin from Røsholt near Kongsberg, Norway. The Rosholt, WI post office opened in 1893 with Jens P. Hausen as postmaster. It is still in operation. The population was 506 at the 2010 census.



Scandinavia, WI
Scandinavia is a town in Waupaca Co., WI. Its first settlers came in1853, only two years after the first white had settled in Waupeca, and the name was selected the same year. The many Norwegian settlers wanted a Norwegian name, but since there were two Danes and a Swede in the community, they agreed it might be all right to pick a more inclusive name, such as Scandinavia, and thus let the rest of the communities roundabout know their ethnic background. The Scandinavia, WI post office opened in 1856 and it is still in operation. The population was 328 at the 2010 census. Scandinavia R.F.D. operated from 1901. NFT 5/2018.



Strum, WI
Strum is a village in Trempealeau Co., Wisconsin, along the Buffalo River. The area was first settled by New Englanders and the place was called Tilden. Then in the 1860s Norwegians moved in. Strum is named in honour of Louis Strum of Eau Claire. He was born 1848 in Alvdal, Norway, his Norwegian name being Lars Ellefsen Strømmen, and he came to Wisconsin via Quebec in 1869. The Strum, WI post office was established in 1885 with storekeeper Ole Kittleson first postmaster, and it is still in operation. The population was 1,114 at the 2010 census. Strum R.F.D. was established 1903. NFT 7/2018.



Suldal, WI
Suldal, settlement in Lindina Twp., Juneau Co., WI. The post office opened 1898 with Theodore O. Felland postmaster (born in Wisconsin 1867 to Norwegian immigrant parents, the family name is from Mo, Tokke, Telemark). Many of the settlers came from Suldal, Norway, and named the community for their home in Norway. The post office was discontinued 1901 with mail to Mauston.

Tindahl, WI
Tindahl, Cleveland Twp., Jackson Co., WI. The post office was established 1881 as Tamarac with Gjermund Thompson postmaster. He changed the p.o. name to Tindahl 1883. The postmaster’s Norwegian name was Gjermund Thomassen, born 1816 Atrå, Tinn, Telemark. He thus named the post office after his home in Norway. Discontinued 1895 with mail to Levis.

Ula, WI
Ula, post office in York Twp., Green Co., WI. Established 1889 with John C. Ula as postmaster, he was born 1840 in Norway and named the post office for himself. Discontinued 1902 with mail to Stewart.

Urne's Corner, WI / Urne, WI
Urne's Corner post office in Modena Twp., Buffalo Co., WI was established 1873 with Ole J Urnes as postmaster. Ole J Urnes was born 1847 and emigrated 1865 from Sogn, Norway. Name-change to Urne 1883, and discontinued 1905, superseded by R.D. from Durand.

Valders, WI
Valders is a village in Cato Twp., Manitowoc Co., WI. Valders was settled from 1840 to 1860 by immigrants from the Valdres mountainous region of Norway, and many of the immigrants came from the valleys of Vestre Slidre and Øystre Slidre. Valders did not really develop as a village until the arrival of the railroad in 1896, the traditional year of its founding. The Valders, WI post office opened in 1897 with Otto G. Berge as postmaster. It is still in operation. The population was 962 at the 2010 census. Valders R.F.D. operated from 1902. NFT 8/2019.



Vignes, WI
Vignes post office in Clay Banks Twp., Door Co., WI was established 1891 with Mathias Nygard as postmaster (born 1856 Gausdal, Norway). Vignes was originally the name of a farm in Ryfylke, Norway, became a Norwegian family name and was subsequently transferred by Norwegian settlers to Wisconsin. The post office was discontinued and superseded 1904 by R.D. from Sawyer.

Viking, WI
Viking, post office in Gilman Twp., Pierce Co., WI. It was named for the Norse Vikings. The post office was established 1892 with Hans Olson postmaster. Discontinued 1902, superseded by R.D. from Baldwin.

Vinjie, WI
Vinjie, post office in Strongs Prairie Twp., Adams Co., WI. Established 1864 with Knud O. Harris postmaster. It was probably named for a Norwegian settler named Vinjie (Vinje or Vinge). Changed name to Arcade 1865 and to Arkdale 1868, still in operation.

Voler, WI
Voler, post office in Trempeleau Co., WI, established 1896 with Arnt S. Digerholte as postmaster. He was from Våler, Solør, Norway and named the post office for his home in Norway. Discontinued 1900 with mail to Blair.

Welhaven, WI
Welhaven, post office in Shawano Co., WI, established 1893 with John I. A. Svendsen as postmaster (born in Wisconsin to Norwegian immigrant parents). Welhaven is a German and Norwegian family name, but the most reasonable explanation is that the post office was named for Norwegian author Johan Sebastian Welhaven. Discontinued 1904, superseded by R.D. from Roselawn.

Westby, WI
Westby, city in Christiana Twp., Vernon Co., WI. Norwegian immigrants settled in the area in 1848. In 1867, Ole T. Westby (born 1840 Norway) built a general store here. In 1879 the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad completed its branch line from Sparta to Viroqua and chose this site for a station. They named it for Ole T. Westby. The village was incorporated in 1896 and became a city in 1920. The Westby, WI post office opened in 1879 with Iver A. Johnson postmaster and it is still in operation. The current population of Westby is still mostly Norwegian. The population was 2,200 at the 2010 census. Westby R.F.D. was in operation from 1900. NFT 2/2019.



Wittenberg, WI
Wittenberg is a village and township in Shawano Co., WI, founded by Pastor Evan Johnson Homme, born in Telemark and a minister of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. At Pastor Homme's request, the name of the railroad station was changed from Carbonero to Wittenberg, for the German city where the Protestant Reformation was begun by Martin Luther. The Wittenberg, WI post office opened in 1880 with Jonas Swenholt as postmaster. It is still in operation. The population was 1,081 at the 2010 census.



Ikke bekreftet: Albertville, WI
Albertville, Wheaton Twp., Chippewa Co., WI. 1892-1934. The local account is that the community was named for Albert Halvorsen, an Eau Claire barber and shopkeeper. First postmaster Frank A. Johnson.



Ikke bekreftet: Eng, WI
Eng, Dovre Twp., Barron Co., WI. 1901-1903. First postmaster Martin Bankerud. Ulvestad (1906) says the place name is Norwegian. Possibly named for Christian Amundson Eng.

Ikke bekreftet: Gertrude, WI
Gertrude, River Falls Twp., Pierce Co., WI. 1895-1900. First postmaster Halvor O. Halvorson.
Have found two Gertrudes in River Falls Twp. 1900 (not Norwegian).

Ikke bekreftet: Hilda, WI
Hilda, Navarino Twp., Shawano Co., WI. 1900-1927. First postmaster Kate Hilliker.
Could be named for the postmaster? FamilySearch: Found only one Hilda in Navarino Twp. (German ).



Ikke bekreftet: Holsted, WI
Holsted, Chippewa Co., WI. 1899-1900. First postmaster Oscar P. Hanson.
Ulvestad (1906) says the place name is Norwegian.
Upham says location is not found. Postal Bulletin says Cook Valley is 3 miles east – this is on the border of Sec 18 of Cooks Valley Twp. Chippewa co. and Sec 13 of Grant Twp Dunn Co.
In 1888 a Peter Hanson owned a part of Sec 13 Grant Twp Dunn Co, perhaps the postmaster is his son?

Ikke bekreftet: Knudson, WI
Knudson, Land O’Lakes Twp., Vilas Co., WI. 1927-1931. Raymond J. Hoock was its only postmaster. Knudson had a station of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad 1923-1937. Perhaps named by or for a railway official? Haven’t found plat map with landowner names.

Ikke bekreftet: Konsted, WI
Konsted, post office in Stephenson Twp., Marinette Co., WI, established 1902-1921. First postmaster Bun P. Loughmiller. Discontinued 1921 with mail to Crivitz. Ulvestad (1906) says the place name is Norwegian.
Konsted p.o. was in Sec 22, on Jens Jenson’s homestead (b. 1848 Denmark) – Konsted (Kongsted) is a parish near Faxe, Denmark.

Ikke bekreftet: Lee, WI
Lee, post office in North Bend Twp., Jackson Co., WI, established 1893 with Martin P. Johnson as postmaster (Norwegian mother and Swedish father). Closed 1904, superseded by R.D. from Ettrick.
An earlier note says “Possibly named for Andrew Lee, born in Norway.” – not sure where this came from?
The 1900 census has no-one named Lee here. The post office was located on Berent Embertson’s homestead (born Norway).

Ikke bekreftet: Oleson, WI
Oleson, post office in Hammel Twp., Taylor Co., WI, established 1900 and named by and for postmaster Otto Oleson. Closed 1902 with mail to Medford.
FamilySearch has several persons named Oleson, but not Otto. And none Oleson in Hammel Twp (note that twp is not always mentioned). FamilySearch has two Otto Olson 1910 in Rib Lake which is 18 miles northeast of Oleson p.o. One of them was born 1874 in Norway and the other born 1855 in Sweden.

Ikke bekreftet: Strand, WI
Strand, post office in Maple Valley Twp., Oconto Co., WI, established 1892 with August Pederson as postmaster. Closed 1904, superseded by R.D. from Gillett. Ulvestad (1906) says the place name is Norwegian.
August Pederson in Oconto Co. is not found in FamilySearch. Sophie Pederson is probably widow 1910, she was born in Sweden, while her children’s father was Norwegian. Perhaps Sophie had been married to August?
There are several persons named August Pederson (Norwegian and Swedish) in other counties.
None with name Strand in Oconto Co. The post office was located in or near Sec. 14.

Ikke bekreftet: Vinland, WI
Vinland, Oshkosh Twp., Winnebago Co., WI. Probably named for the Norse Vinland. Established 1847 with Samuel L. Brook as postmaster, discontinued 1886, re-established 1887 and finally discontinued 1888 with mail to Oshkosh.
Ulvestad (1906) says the place name is Norwegian.
The spelling indicates that it is named for the Norse Vinland. "History of Winnebago county, Wisconsin" (1880) has several pages about the history of Vinland, but nothing that explains the name. The 1909 map has no Scandinavian landowner names, Vinland was located in Sec 26.


Coloured line


Index     Previous     Next     Home


Coloured line
This page is designed by Hallvard Slettebø.
Please e-maiI me with questions, comments and suggestions for improvement: hallvard@slettebo.no
Text and Web Layout - Copyright © 2021 Hallvard Slettebø.